Skip to main content

Add Some Sparkle To That Boring Butter Cake...


Awesome weekend everyone? My weekends are pretty short around here only because Saturday is the day that I go off to work, so I don't have a lot of time to spare. This weekend we went off to Sydney to celebrate my baby brother turning 18, Yep! the grand old age of 18 (remember those days?!)

At his request I was asked to make a birthday cake, no worries but he's a bit of a "plain jane" and only likes 'butter cake'. So I gave it a little thought and put this little beauty together.

You will need:

2 x Butter cakes - Store bought or homemade. I went for homemade and just used a recipe with sour cream in it to help keep it moist. I made one Friday and the other Saturday night. Then put it altogether Sunday morning.

One tub of frosting - I used 'Betty Crocker ready-to-use Vanilla frosting'.(Remember I did say I was short on spare time!) Or you could make some butter cream.

Sprinkles

For the Ganache;
One block of Cadbury Milk Cooking Chocolate -  broken up into single pieces
1/4 cup cream

Order some mini donuts from Donut King

The 'How to':

Take your two cakes (make sure they are at room temperature). Cut the tops off to make them completely flat. Add a small amount of frosting to the top of one cake and spread it around, now turn the other cake upside down and place on top of the other (I turn it upside down so the perfectly flat side of the cake is now on the top). Now you can completely frost the cake on the top and sides, just be careful not to get a heap of crumbs through the frosting and make it as smooth as possible. 

Once fully iced you can add the sprinkles to the side of the cake. This is probably the most difficult part and a two man job, as you will have to lean the cake to the side to get the sprinkles on. Unless you can work out a better way, then please let us all know :) It's also pretty messy so I suggest doing this step outside.

Now your cake is iced with sprinkles, it's time to make the chocolate ganache. Place the milk chocolate and cream in a large bowl over the top of a boiling pot of water. Allow chocolate to melt and combine with cream until smooth. (Stirring constantly to avoid lumps). Allow to cool for 5minutes then slowly pour the ganache directly over the cake. Do it slowly, allowing just enough to drizzle over the edges of the cake. Use as much ganache mixture as you like. This amount made plenty, it's up to you to decide how much drizzle is enough. Set the cake aside in the fridge for a good 30 minutes to help the ganache set.

Finally,  decorate with the mini donuts and that's it your done! Enjoy.


This is my now NOT so little baby brother..... Picture on left 8 years ago, picture on right 30th August 2015.


Recent posts you may have missed 

If you have enjoyed this little post, please share a comment below I would love to hear from you, or jump over to my Facebook page or Instagram.

Comments

  1. So awesome! And super cute pictures of you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing cake! I love the sprinkles and the piles of doughnuts on top - yum! Happy 18th birthday to your not-so-little brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It did taste pretty amazing (if I do say so myself ;).

      Delete
  3. This is the BEST cake I've ever seen! Your brother is VERY lucky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BEST haha you're a cake making queen yourself. Thanks Lauren xx

      Delete
  4. OMG how awesomely easy is this!!!!!! I need to send this recipe to all of my friends who hate cooking! Thanks for linking up with our Fabulous Foodie Fridays party xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! thanks for having me. Yes sometimes we need to cut corners ;) xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun With Pom Poms // Lets Make A Cactus...

Seriously! How much fun are pom-poms? It doesn't matter if you're five or eighty two it's something you can make and once you've mastered the basic pom-pom you'll be able to knock this bad boy up in no time.

You're going to need a few things...
One medium sized green pom-pomOne small sized pink pom-pomOne medium sized brown pom-pomScissors Glue (I highly recommend using a hot glue gun, much easier and less messy).Cardboard egg container (to use one cup section as the cacti's little pot). Some Paint (I used gold spray paint).


Firstly cut and trim one egg cup section from the carton. Paint your egg cup container 'Pot' and leave it to dry. It should be dry by the time you have finished cutting your cactus into shape.

Make your three different pom-poms in the colours and sizes needed. (Make sure you leave the tied pom-pom strings through the centre of the pom-poms long, you'll need these to tie your pink and green pom-poms together). 

The trickiest part …

The Handmade Series // How To Knit A Blanket With Greta's Handcraft...

Hi Everyone,
Welcome back to 'The Handmade Series' this is part two. If you missed part one you can read up here (Part One - What's In The Basket...). This month you will find below a brief description on just how to knit a blanket with my guest Vivienne @gretashandcraft. Enjoy and thanks for visiting this blog. xo Bec

Summer is now behind us, and to me that is exciting as it means lots of NEW Winter stock arriving with beautiful NEW colours to create lovely NEW warm knitted wooly projects!!!
With the cold Winter months on their way, there is nothing so special as cuddling into a warm knitted woolly blanket!! Now don't shudder & say "but it's such a big project", lol, as I am going to tell you how to break it down into a really manageable & fun project!


1. Decide on Size - I find for your first throw, don't go too big, do a cot size, or a nice Knee Throw to snuggle on the lounge.
2. Colours - look around your house, childs room, see what colours ar…

The Handmade Series // How To Crochet A Blanket....

Hi Everyone, 
This little series has become so enjoyable, thank you for joining us again. Or first time here? not to worry you can review past editions below...

The Handmade Series // A Morning With A Candle Maker
The Handmade Series // How To Knit A Blanket
The Handmade Series // Greta's Handcraft What's In The Basket
This months edition Vivienne from Greta's Handcraft is back to give you a brief run down on how to crochet a blanket. Hope you enjoy, if you have any questions please leave a comment below. xxBec



Winter Is Coming, so exciting!!!! This is my time of the year, to be able to make a beautiful piece of Winter Warmth to wrap yourself or loved ones in, brilliant!! I am so pleased to join you again, & many thanks for you kind words & enthusiasm over my last edition How To Knit A Blanket.
In this post, I am going to share with you How To Crochet a Blanket! This great blanket I made for Miss Alba (precious Girl) a couple of seasons ago. My plan was for a healthy dose…