Skip to main content

The Handmade Series // Capturing Your Dreams...





Hi Everyone,

This month on 'The Handmade Series' I have a special treat for you. I'd love you to meet a fellow blogger and talented creator of these stunning bo-ho dreamcatchers...the lovely Ashlea Kerr. Glamour Coastal Living, a 'life and style' blog, is her place to hang out. Ashlea shares wonderful delicious food ideas, DIY projects, renovating and takes us through some spectacular coastal styled homes week to week.

Getting to know Ashlea through her blog and over social media has been such a pleasure and I'm thrilled to get to know her more. Ashlea's answers to a few questions tells us a little about herself and her gorgeous creations. I do hope you enjoy this edition. Ashlea and I have also put together a tutorial to show you how to create simple and effective feather craft so be sure to pop back in a few days.


1. Describe yourself in ten words?
Kind, punctual, practical, a dreamer, an over-analyser, reliable, creative, adventurous, big heart, wife.

2. What or who inspired you to start making vintage/boho dreamcatchers?
I saw a dreamcatcher on Pinterest that I loved and knew I had to have, so I made my own DIY version. I was hooked from there! It still hangs proudly above my bed. It is five assorted sized dreamcatchers, hung by leather off a beautiful piece of driftwood. I was immediately drawn to sourcing vintage doilies. That's the fun part, shopping for supplies and putting one off designs together. I started making them for family and friends as gifts andI think initially to get my confidence up to see if I was on the right track and would people even like them? Then I started selling via an Etsy Store  and I haven't looked back - I love it!

3. Do you have a favourite and which is the most popular? 
I have a few favourite designs – at the moment it’s this style, long lengths of leather, feathers, wooden beads and a one off doiley. It’s very popular too, I can’t seem to make enough to keep up with the demand!



4. How long have you been creating and what is a typical creative day like?

My husband and I run a construction business together – so my days are spent organising trades, materials, liaising with customers and bookwork. At the end of the day it’s nice to be able to switch off from the blokey world of construction and do something a little more girly and pretty! I might spend an evening after work each week being creative, but mostly it happens on a weekend day. I have a fishing mad husband who gets up early to go offshore fishing, so mostly that’s when the creativity happens – I setup on the kitchen table, put some music on and spend a few hours threading beads, feathers and leather to make my one-off looks.



5. Looking to the future what are your dreams for your business?
Dreamcatcher making and being creative is an extension of my blog Glamour Coastal Living  I love being creative and sharing what I make and do with my Glamour Coastal Living tribe, via social media and for now this is where the business and creativity will remain. Looking towards the future, I would love to expand my blog and dreamcatcher making – my dream would be to have shops wanting to stock my one off creations as well as continuing to sell via Etsy.

6. Words of wisdom for anyone starting their own business?
Make sure you have passion and drive and believe in what you are doing. Back yourself and give it 100%, others will realise the potential of what you are doing and jump onboard too! Be realistic though, business growth and the development phase does take time and success is not overnight. Be persistent and make sure you are doing what you love – success will follow!

7. It's your day off... what will you do?
Enjoy breakfast at my favourite local café with Hubby and our fur baby Coopar, wander down the beach for some sunshine and salty air, take a dip in the ocean and then head home to laze by the pool. Now I am missing summer!!

8. Five things you are loving at the moment? 

The friends and networks I have made via Glamour Coastal Living It’s such a wonderful community of bloggers and creatives out there and I am loving the support and friendship via social media (thanks to you too, Bec!).  I am loving the buys and bargains on online shopping and finding unique one-off sellers via Instagram. Wandering my neighbourhood with my dog each morning, looking at new builds and renovations (I am such a house enthusiast!). My new herb garden and the amazing smells and tastes coming from it. Snuggling on the lounge with a movie and my Hubby on these cooler Autumn nights.




All photographs were supplied from Ashlea Kerr at Glamour Coast Living.

If you have enjoyed this little post, please share a comment below I would love to hear from you, or jump over to my Facebook page or Instagram.

Comments

  1. These are so gorgeous! Love Ashleas blog too. Off to check out her ETSY store! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me Bec - so chuffed to be a part of your handmade series and blog x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the prettiest dream catchers I've seen! I love the use of the doiley, beads and white feathers - just beautiful Ashlea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lucky enough to own one of Ashlea's creations but I must say it took me a while to decide on which one to buy. They are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - I hope it is bringing your little one the sweetest of dreams :) x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun With Pom Poms // Lets Make A Cactus...

Seriously! How much fun are pom-poms? It doesn't matter if you're five or eighty two it's something you can make and once you've mastered the basic pom-pom you'll be able to knock this bad boy up in no time.

You're going to need a few things...
One medium sized green pom-pomOne small sized pink pom-pomOne medium sized brown pom-pomScissors Glue (I highly recommend using a hot glue gun, much easier and less messy).Cardboard egg container (to use one cup section as the cacti's little pot). Some Paint (I used gold spray paint).


Firstly cut and trim one egg cup section from the carton. Paint your egg cup container 'Pot' and leave it to dry. It should be dry by the time you have finished cutting your cactus into shape.

Make your three different pom-poms in the colours and sizes needed. (Make sure you leave the tied pom-pom strings through the centre of the pom-poms long, you'll need these to tie your pink and green pom-poms together). 

The trickiest part …

The Handmade Series // How To Knit A Blanket With Greta's Handcraft...

Hi Everyone,
Welcome back to 'The Handmade Series' this is part two. If you missed part one you can read up here (Part One - What's In The Basket...). This month you will find below a brief description on just how to knit a blanket with my guest Vivienne @gretashandcraft. Enjoy and thanks for visiting this blog. xo Bec

Summer is now behind us, and to me that is exciting as it means lots of NEW Winter stock arriving with beautiful NEW colours to create lovely NEW warm knitted wooly projects!!!
With the cold Winter months on their way, there is nothing so special as cuddling into a warm knitted woolly blanket!! Now don't shudder & say "but it's such a big project", lol, as I am going to tell you how to break it down into a really manageable & fun project!


1. Decide on Size - I find for your first throw, don't go too big, do a cot size, or a nice Knee Throw to snuggle on the lounge.
2. Colours - look around your house, childs room, see what colours ar…

The Handmade Series // How To Crochet A Blanket....

Hi Everyone, 
This little series has become so enjoyable, thank you for joining us again. Or first time here? not to worry you can review past editions below...

The Handmade Series // A Morning With A Candle Maker
The Handmade Series // How To Knit A Blanket
The Handmade Series // Greta's Handcraft What's In The Basket
This months edition Vivienne from Greta's Handcraft is back to give you a brief run down on how to crochet a blanket. Hope you enjoy, if you have any questions please leave a comment below. xxBec



Winter Is Coming, so exciting!!!! This is my time of the year, to be able to make a beautiful piece of Winter Warmth to wrap yourself or loved ones in, brilliant!! I am so pleased to join you again, & many thanks for you kind words & enthusiasm over my last edition How To Knit A Blanket.
In this post, I am going to share with you How To Crochet a Blanket! This great blanket I made for Miss Alba (precious Girl) a couple of seasons ago. My plan was for a healthy dose…