Skip to main content

The Handmade Series...Greta's Handcraft...'What's In The Basket"?

A few weeks back I introduced you all to my mother (Vivienne) and her shop 'Greta's Handcraft'. After some brainstorming I thought why not let her lose on this blog space once a month to share with you all 'What's in the Basket'. A little round up series each month to show you what she has made and share her creativity and knowledge. 

Hope you Enjoy :) x


Hi, my name is Vivienne and one of my key roles in life, is being mum to my 5 children, 2 beautiful daughter-in-laws, and I am the very proud Grandma to 8 Gorgeous grandchildren.

In my spare time, I have the pleasure of owning my own business "Greta's Handcraft Centre" which is located in Lindfield, a northern suburb of Sydney. The shop has been running for approx 48 years, of which I have owned it for a bit over 10 years. Greta's is a place where you can purchase yarns to Knit and Crochet as well as Quilting Materials. We do lessons in all 3 crafts and are available at all times to listen and help you with your projects. 

There is nothing more satisfying than finishing your own handmade project. Whilst I love my Knitting, Crochet has been making a huge return over the last year!!  Not a lot of people wearing it, (still considered a bit Granny), but it is so popular for Toys, Amigurumi Toys, Blankets, Cushions, Face Clothes, Pot Holders, all sorts of Homewares!!

I want to share a few of my recent Crochet projects, and where possible, I will supply pattern links for you, some are Free, some cost a couple of $$$, but so worth it!! I spent the weekend 'whipping' up some fun Donuts for a special granddaughter to play with in her kitchen - mind you, I think Bec's Axel was a bit put out he couldn't eat the chocolate one, lol!! To make these donuts I rummaged through my bits of wool in my stash - they are all 8plys, and I hand stitched the decorations on the donuts, keeps things safe for little ones.


Currently, I am putting the finishing touches on a lovely throw for Miss M, who has just turned five. I do like the Ripple design, you can blend lots of colours, or keep it simple with just a few. I love these colours, soft Aqua's, muted Lilac, the occasional darker tones, and the brightness of a touch of white, which lifts the colours...........Beautiful!! Again, some colours are from my stash, but the majority are Filatura Di Crosa Zara and Bellissimo, both 8plys.  These are Extra Fine Merinos but you can make the throw using any 8 ply yarn. Some people prefer to work in lighter plys ie 4 or 5ply, but I do find thicker plys can result in quite a heavy blanket.

The pattern can be found here : Ripple Blanket. Lucy's Tutorials are accompanied by clear photographs, which make life a bit easier!! Here is the written pattern for those of you that are experienced crocheters -

To make a blanket with a width of 110cm (single bed size) chain 213 to begin.
:: ROW 1 :: 1 tr into 4th chain from hook 1tr into each of next 4 chs, tr2tog twice,  tr into each of next 4 chs, *(2tr into next ch) twice, 1tr into each of next 4 chs, tr2tog twice, 1 tr into each of next 4 chs*
Repeat between ** ending last rep with 2 tr into last chain, turn.
:: ROW 2 :: ch3, 1 tr into same stitch, 1tr into each of next 4 chs, tr2tog twice, 1 tr into each of next 4 chs, *(2tr into next ch) twice, 1tr into each of next 4 chs, tr2tog twice, 1 tr into each of next 4 chs*
Repeat between ** ending last rep with 2 tr into the top chain of the chain-3 from previous row.
:: ROW 3 :: Change to a new colour and repeat Row 2.
:: ROW 4 :: Continue with the same colour as Row 3, repeating the ripple pattern as for Row 2.
:: ROW 5 – 168 :: Repeat row 2, changing colours every alternate row. Work a total of 84 colour stripes (2 rows for each stripe). Fasten off and darn in all ends.

I have enjoyed sharing a bit of my Crafting passion with you, and remember, if you have any questions, I would love to hear from you, all contact details can be found on Greta's Facebook page. Looking forward to next months Handmade Series.
Vivienne.

A note to my fellow bloggers, creative peeps...If you're interested in a guest space here to share what lovely handmade things you have created, I would love to hear from you and help share your creativity. Shoot me an email. x Bec
Check out what loveliness I have created here...
If you have enjoyed this little post, please share a comment below I would love to hear from you. Or jump over to my Facebook page or Instagram.

Comments

  1. That blanket is gorgeous! I wish I knew how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating with your hands is so rewarding, not to mention the therapy.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I have been to her shop. When I lived in Wahroonga years ago my mother was visiting from New York and I sisted she could teach me to knit. I did not succeed and recently found the bag with the needles and beautiful yarn she bought me there, I have managed to learn to crochet (well granny square so far) and will use some of the yarn for crochet, so funny to remember that after all these years (was about 9 years ago or more)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a small world sometimes. If you're ever around town you should drop in again :)

      Delete
  4. Ps a ripple blanket is on my list for later this year. Currently making a granny square lap blanket. Love the colours of yours. Thanks for the pattern will pin for later xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love that blanket! I used to crochet BK (before kids) and have not got back into it. They are all grown now so I should get back into it. This would be a gorgeous project to start with! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One bit of advice : when you are starting to learn or returning to knitting/crochet, start a smaller project, say a cushion (which look fabulous in the Ripple design) - large projects can be a bit daunting, & the overwelming feeling of finishing a project, encourages you to start the next one, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the ripple blanket ...oh and those donuts! My heart x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous Viv! Such a great pattern with endless colour combinations. Looking forward to finishing mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Fun With Pom Poms // Lets Make A Cactus...

Seriously! How much fun are pom-poms? It doesn't matter if you're five or eighty two it's something you can make and once you've mastered the basic pom-pom you'll be able to knock this bad boy up in no time.

You're going to need a few things...
One medium sized green pom-pomOne small sized pink pom-pomOne medium sized brown pom-pomScissors Glue (I highly recommend using a hot glue gun, much easier and less messy).Cardboard egg container (to use one cup section as the cacti's little pot). Some Paint (I used gold spray paint).


Firstly cut and trim one egg cup section from the carton. Paint your egg cup container 'Pot' and leave it to dry. It should be dry by the time you have finished cutting your cactus into shape.

Make your three different pom-poms in the colours and sizes needed. (Make sure you leave the tied pom-pom strings through the centre of the pom-poms long, you'll need these to tie your pink and green pom-poms together). 

The trickiest part …

The Handmade Series // How To Knit A Blanket With Greta's Handcraft...

Hi Everyone,
Welcome back to 'The Handmade Series' this is part two. If you missed part one you can read up here (Part One - What's In The Basket...). This month you will find below a brief description on just how to knit a blanket with my guest Vivienne @gretashandcraft. Enjoy and thanks for visiting this blog. xo Bec

Summer is now behind us, and to me that is exciting as it means lots of NEW Winter stock arriving with beautiful NEW colours to create lovely NEW warm knitted wooly projects!!!
With the cold Winter months on their way, there is nothing so special as cuddling into a warm knitted woolly blanket!! Now don't shudder & say "but it's such a big project", lol, as I am going to tell you how to break it down into a really manageable & fun project!


1. Decide on Size - I find for your first throw, don't go too big, do a cot size, or a nice Knee Throw to snuggle on the lounge.
2. Colours - look around your house, childs room, see what colours ar…

The Handmade Series // How To Crochet A Blanket....

Hi Everyone, 
This little series has become so enjoyable, thank you for joining us again. Or first time here? not to worry you can review past editions below...

The Handmade Series // A Morning With A Candle Maker
The Handmade Series // How To Knit A Blanket
The Handmade Series // Greta's Handcraft What's In The Basket
This months edition Vivienne from Greta's Handcraft is back to give you a brief run down on how to crochet a blanket. Hope you enjoy, if you have any questions please leave a comment below. xxBec



Winter Is Coming, so exciting!!!! This is my time of the year, to be able to make a beautiful piece of Winter Warmth to wrap yourself or loved ones in, brilliant!! I am so pleased to join you again, & many thanks for you kind words & enthusiasm over my last edition How To Knit A Blanket.
In this post, I am going to share with you How To Crochet a Blanket! This great blanket I made for Miss Alba (precious Girl) a couple of seasons ago. My plan was for a healthy dose…